COVID-19 is continuing to be pandemic in and around the world. The health department in every country is working round the clock to control this global concern at the earliest. Social distancing is the need of the hour in this concerning situation and applies to the gambling industry too. To make sure that the online gambling organizations are responsible, reliable, and ensure secure gambling, European gambling associations have released guidance following the European Commission’s “Recommendation 2014/478/EU on consumer protection in online gambling.”
The statements are worth ensuring that the gambling companies and their affiliates will never follow socially irresponsible or unethical promotions.
Here are the statements:
All the online gambling firms are requested not to refer their advertisements related to COVID-19 or any other developments related to Coronavirus released by WHO.
The websites and advertisements of every gambling company must have authorized information regarding national problem gambling helplines, minimum age limit, and registers of national self-exclusion.
The advertisements issued by the gambling companies must not be done as a problem-solving tool for financial, social, or personal issues during this pandemic situation. Also, the companies shouldn’t welcome customers as a boredom solution.
The players on every gambling site will be monitored for their behavior during the gambling and actions will be taken if found problematic. The rules must comply with GDPR provisions.
All the gambling websites must have the identity revealing step as KYC (Know Your Customer) details verifying. This is to make sure minors are not involved in gambling and the new customers are being verified before gambling.
The websites for gambling must have self-exclusion and deposit limit tools for responsible gambling.
European gambling associations that follow the measures include:
- AFJEL: Association Française des Opérateurs de Jeu en Ligne (France)
- APAJO: Associação Portuguesa de Apostas e Jogos Online (Portugal)
- BAGO: Belgian Association of Gaming Operators (Belgium)
- BGC: Betting and Gaming Council (UK)
- BOS: Branschföreningen för Onlinespel (Sweden)
- DOCV: Deutscher Online Casinoverband (Germany)
- DOGA: Danish Online Gambling Association (Denmark)
- DSWV: Deutscher Sportwettenverband (Germany)
- EGBA: European Gaming and Betting Association (Belgium)
- IBIA: International Betting Integrity Association (Belgium)
- iGEN: iGaming European Network (Malta)
- LOGiCO: Lega Operatori di Gioco su Canale Online (Italy)
- NBO: Norsk Bransjeforening for Onlinespill (Norway)
- OVWG: Österreichische Vereinigung für Wetten & Glücksspiel (Austria)
- Speel Verantwoord (Netherlands)