Can Gujarat Titans Upset Mumbai Indians in IPL 2023?
Indian Premier League is a festival for cricket lovers in India. Cricket enthusiasts get to enjoy nail-biting competitions and the treat of watching the best face-offs among the different players. However, apart from the live math watchers, cricket betting enthusiasts anchor their eyes upon the ongoing matches along with the performance of all the cricketers. This editorial deals with one of the most anticipated matches of the series, Gujarat Titans against Mumbai Indians, beholding the reigning champion clashing with the most successful teams in the history of IPL.
In the last session of the IPL, Gujarat Titans went against all odds and became the tournament champions. Owing to the team’s phenomenal performance, GT has retained almost all of its original players. With power players like Hardik Pandya, David Millers, Rashid Khan, and Shubhman Gill in the squad, the underdog champion will be ready to defend its title this season.
However, considering the overall performance being put up by the Mumbai Indians, the team did not perform well in the last season and finished at the bottom. However, owing to the regular defeats, MI was the first team to exit the tournament in the 15th season of the Indian Premier League. MI is the most unpredictable team in the tournament, as it has a formidable captain and crew who can turn the tides at the last moments. With some top-notch names like Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, Ishan Kishan, and Cameron Green in the squad, the MI will be ready to snatch the victory from the hands of Gujarat Titans. All the cricket bettors are keeping a close watch on the best betting sites for cricket to get all the needed updates about the ongoing matches in this IPL 2023 season.
Let’s look at the full squads of Gujarat Titans and Mumbai Indians for the upcoming match.
Hardik Pandya (C), David Miller, Sai Sudharsan, Abhinav Manohar, Shubman Gill, Dasun Shanaka, Odeon Smith, Rahul Tewatia, Mohit Sharma, Vijay Shankar, Srikar Bharat, Matthew Wade, Wriddhiman Saha, Alzarri Joseph, Darshan Nalkande, Yash Dayal, Jayant Yadav, Joshua Little, Urvil Pate, Mohammad Shami, Noor Ahmad, Rashid Khan, Ravisrinivasan Sai Kishore, Shivam Mavi, and Pradeep Sangwan.
Rohit Sharma (C), Nehal Wadhera, Ramandeep Singh, Suryakumar Yadav, Tristan Stubbs, Sandeep Warrier, Cameron Green, Raghav Goyal, Shams Mulani, Tim David, Ishan Kishan, Akash Madhwal, Arjun Tendulkar, Arshad Khan, Duan Jansen, Vishnu Vinod, Hrithik Shokeen, Tilak Verma, Jason Behrendorff, Jofra Archer, Kumar Kartikeya, Piyush Chawla, Riley Meredith, and Dewald Brevis.
Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses that will play a significant role in deciding the winner of the match. Some of the vital, solid factors and shortcomings of both teams are discussed ahead.
- GT has not made any significant changes to their winning squad, meaning the memory of victory is still fresh in the team’s mind, and they know how to capture the win. The confidence in winning their maiden season is the biggest strength of Gujarat Titans.
- Another key strength of Gujarat Titans is its captain, Hardik Pandya, who showed exemplary leadership skills in the last season of IPL. The team operates seamlessly under him, and his promotion to the position of skipper in the Indian Team will also help him a lot in this match.
- In the last few matches of Gujarat Titans, we have seen that its top and middle order is in the power-packed form right now! From Shubman Gill and Vijay Shankar to Sai Sudarshan and David Miller, every player is contributing to their best level.
- Last but not least is the magical bowling of Rashid Khan, Mohammad Shami, and Alzaari Joseph, who make a deadly combination that is entirely unbreakable for the opponent teams.
- The opening pair of GT is yet to perform up to the standards in the last few matches. Wriddhiam Saha has failed to leave a significant impact as the opener.
- Gujarat Titans have been experimenting with the number 3 and 4 positions, which may create issues in the overall coordination of the team. Skipper Hardik Pandya has also performed poorly with his bat in the last few matches.
- The team is having difficulties filling the position left by Lockie Ferguson, who used to handle the middle overs.
- The MI has one of the best opening pairs in the tournament, with wicketkeeper Ishan Kishan and the Hitman Rohit Sharma.
- Adding Cameron Greens to the batting squad has raised the heat for the opponent bowlers.
- Some other power hitters on the team are Suryakumar Yadav, Tilak Verma, and Tim David. The addition of Jofra Archer and Jason Behrendorff has provided more depth to the bowling section of MI.
- The most significant weakness of MI is their bowling section which has been lacking in depth since the departure of Rahul Chahar and the injury of Jasprit Bumrah.
- The departure of Kieran Pollard has also weakened the batting options of the team.
- The opening pair of Mumbai Indians has not performed up to the standards, which could reduce the chances of their winning.
Despite some weaknesses in both teams, one cannot rightfully predict the winner of this upcoming match. Moreover, as MI is lower than the Gujarat Titans on the points table, it still has the possibility to win the game, making GT the underdog of the match. However, if Hardik Pandya plays his cards right, he can snatch the victory from Mumbai Indians. GT can use the might of Rashid Khan, Mohammad Shami, and Alzaari Joseph strategically to limit the batting attack of Rohit Sharma, Tilak Verma, and Surya Kumar Yadav. Hardik can also try out the pace of Joshua Little against the heavy-hitting Cameron Greens. When it comes to scoring runs, the raging form of Vijay Shankar, Shubman Gill, Sai Sudarshan, and David Miller will be a tough pill for MI to swallow.