Online Gambling in Scandinavian Countries
Each Scandinavian country follows its own set of rules and regulations pertaining to online gambling. Online casinos are permitted in Sweden, Denmark, and Finland, while Norway has some exceptions.
- The online gambling market is monopolized by Svenska Spel, a state-run organization.
- Online casinos were introduced in 2002.
- Players can play with international online casinos provided they are licensed.
- Hefty taxes are levied on any winnings from foreign gambling sites.
- . As of January 2019, all Swedish online casinos must hold a specific license called Swedish gaming license.
- A 2012 law passed by the Danish government legalized online gambling.
- No taxes are levied on winnings from international online casinos.
- Online gambling is completely legal and is run by government-controlled operators such as RAY.
- The 1966 Finnish Lotteries Act governs online gambling.
- It allows players to gamble with foreign online casinos with no restrictions.
- Gambling is illegal under the 2016 Criminal Code.
- However, Icelandic residents continue to play at foreign gambling sites that are licensed and that which are not bound by the Criminal Code.
The Super-rich Bonuses
Bonuses abound in Scandinavian online casinos. Some of the different bonuses include online casino bonus, signup bonus, VIP casino bonus, and free spins. For instance, Zet Casino offers a signup bonus of 100% up to 500 EUR and 200 free spins. Also, check out other online casinos such as Fastbet, Grandwild, Casdep, and Paradise Win to know more about bonus amounts and promotions.
Sweden and Its Online Casino Laws
Sweden follows two major legislations that regulate its online casinos. They are:
The 1994 Lotteries Act:
- Regulates lotteries, roulette, card games, and dice games
- Authorizes the Gaming Board of Sweden to issue licenses.
- Does not allow the promotion of unlawful and international lotteries
The 1999 Casinos Act:
- Deals predominantly with physical casinos but were amended in 2002 to regulate online casinos
- The Amendment gave Svenska Spel, the sole license provider of online betting in Sweden, the authority to host online games
The table gives a fair idea about who regulates what with regard to online gambling in Sweden.
|Relevant Authorities and Legislations|
|Gaming||Slots and casino table||Swedish Gambling Authority(SGA)|
|Lottery||Lotteries||SGA or local municipality|
Norway’s Online Gambling Space
Norwegian laws permit online gambling that is monopolized by the state, just like Sweden. International online casinos with a local license or with a license from another EU member-state are permitted to offer their services, but most foreign sites are restricted following a 2008 law. Norwegian players are encouraged to gamble with the legal government-backed online casino operators Norsk Rikstoto (horse betting) and Norsk Tipping (lottery).
In 2019, Norway’s Culture Ministry proposed a block on advertisements from international gambling sites that do not have a local license to allow only the two Norsks to advertise their services to Norwegians.
Most of Norway’s popular online casinos offer a variety of games ranging from slots to complete gambling offerings and include cash bonuses and free spins. Some of the most sought-after games include Jackpot 6000, Crown Machine, Hall of Gods, Divine Fortune, and Mega Moolah, to name a few. And some of Norway’s top online casinos are Rabona, Lilibet, Storspiller, Playzee, Dunder, and Slotnite.
At Casinoer, you will find useful and latest information on the casino market. It serves you with proper recommendations and gives valuable tips and advice when playing at the casino. On the whole, Nordic countries are not only fun places to visit but also great places to play at online casinos. Regardless of the stringent regulations in place, the five countries offer plenty of ways for players to fancy online gambling.